Can I Sue For A Car Accident If I Was Partially At Fault?

2 minutes, 15 seconds Read

Getting involved in a Manhattan car accident can be a traumatic experience. If another vehicle has hit you and you have sustained injuries, you might be able to get compensation. Many people wonder if they will be entitled to compensation if they are partially liable for the accident. The answer is yes. Read this article to explore the answer in more detail. 

If you have sustained injuries in a car accident, you can sue the other driver for their fault. However, if they do not accept their fault, Manhattan, KS Car Accident Attorney can help you gather evidence and hold the other driver responsible for their actions.

Can you sue someone if you were partially at fault for the accident?

When it comes to car insurance, New York is a no-fault state. Every driver in New York must have at least $50,000 to cover a single accident. Regardless of their fault, a driver can use personal injury protection coverage to pay medical bills and other financial damages. The compensation you will get depends upon your percentage of contribution to the accident. 

Even if you were 100% responsible for the accident, you could still ask the PIP policy for your coverage. If some other driver’s negligence or reckless behavior resulted in your injuries, you have the right to bring a third-party insurer against the at-fault driver. 

What are exceptions to no-fault?

No-fault rules in Manhattan have some exceptions. Motorcyclists and passengers, for example, are not covered in no-fault. However, the pedestrian who is hit and sustained injuries may file and get no-fault benefits. 

Some other exceptions include drivers who deliberately injured someone, drivers who were intoxicated or under the influence, or any drivers who broke the law, such as illegally racing or evading an arrest.

What damages can you recover?

Your PIP policy covers all hospital expenses, including medical bills, surgeries, emergency services, prescriptions, and scans. Also, if the injury is so severe that it is preventing you from returning to your job, you can use the PIP policy to compensate for your lost wages. 

Apart from getting compensation for your financial damages, you can also get compensation for non-financial damages, including pain and suffering, including physical pain, emotional and mental distress, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss of enjoyment of life, and punitive damages in some cases. 

Estimating the value of your nonfinancial losses may be difficult without an attorney’s help. Therefore, it is highly recommended to hire a skilled attorney who has a good reputation and experience in handling similar cases.

Do not admit fault to the other regardless of how much they try to convince you to take the blame. Hire an attorney for a robust representation today. 


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *