Alphonso Boyle Davies, a player on the soccer team (born 2 November 2000 in Buduburam, Ghana). Alphonso Davies is widely regarded as one of the most exciting young soccer players in the world. He was the youngest player to ever compete for Team Canada, and in both 2018 and 2020, he was voted the Canadian Men’s Player of the Year. In 2019, he signed a six-year contract with FC Bayern Munich of the Bundesliga after being selected an MLS All-Star and the Player of the Year with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2018. Alphonso Davies consider as one of fastest football player in the world.
Prior to that, in 2018, he was named an MLS All-Star. In the 2019–20 season, he was honoured as the Rookie of the Year in the Bundesliga and made history by becoming the first Canadian male player to ever appear for a team that won the Champions League. In 2020, he was awarded the Lionel Conacher Trophy as Canada’s top male athlete and shared the Lou Marsh Trophy with football star Laurent Duvernay-Tardif as Canada’s athlete of the year. Both of these accolades were presented to him in the year 2020.
A. Davies, Alphonso
The 28th of April, 2019 footage of Alphonso Davies in action with FC Bayern Munich.
Beginnings in Life and Family
- Alphonso Davies was born in the refugee camp of Buduburam, which is located close to Accra in Ghana. During the First and Second Liberian Civil Wars, it provided shelter to almost 12,000 people who were forced to flee their homes in Liberia. Debeah and Victoria Davies, Alphonso Davies’s father and mother, lived in Monrovia, Liberia, prior to evacuating the city with their seven children during the Second Liberian Civil War. Alphonso Davies is Alphonso Davies’s son (1999–2003).
- When Alphonso Davies was five years old, his family made the journey to Canada from the United Kingdom. Before arriving in Edmonton, Alberta, the family made their home in Windsor, Ontario. Once in Edmonton, Davies attended Mother Theresa Catholic School and St. Nicholas Catholic Junior High School.
- Davies first participated in organised soccer through the Free Footie Programme, which is an after-school programme for children from low-income families living in inner cities. After leaving Nicholas Academy, he went on to play for FC Edmonton, Edmonton Internationals, Edmonton Strikers, and Edmonton for a combined total of one season. During an interview with Global News in 2018, Davies stated that “that’s where I started my soccer, that’s where I played, that’s where I went to school, and that’s where my family and friends reside.”
Career Opportunities Abroad
- In 2014, Davies made his debut in the youth programme for Canada Soccer despite only being 13 years old at the time. After becoming a naturalised Canadian citizen, Davies was able to compete for the senior men’s national team of Canada.
- He became the youngest player in the history of Team Canada when he competed in a friendly match against Curacao when he was 16 years old. As a result of Davies’s two goals in Canada’s opening game of the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, in which Canada defeated French Guiana 4-2, Davies became the youngest player in the history of the CONCACAF Gold Cup to score a goal.
- The Canadian national team has decided to include Davies in their roster for both the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the 2019–20 CONCACAF Nations League. In a game that was part of the CONCACAF Nations League, Davies scored the first goal in a victory against the United States that ended with a score of 2–0. This victory was the first time that the Canadian men’s team had triumphed over the United States in almost three decades.
On October 16, 2018, Alphonso Davies was one of the players representing Canada in a match against Dominica.
The Vancouver Whitecaps Football Club
- At the age of 14, Davies relocated from Edmonton to Burnaby, British Columbia, in order to participate in the residency programme for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC. (15 years, three months). Within a span of two months, he made his debut in the professional ranks with the Whitecaps. At 15 years and six months old, Davies held the record as the youngest player in USL history to score a goal until the year 2020. He concluded his season with Whitecaps FC 2, in which he played 11 games, with two goals scored.
- Davies became the third-youngest player to ever sign a Major League Soccer contract after the completion of his season with Whitecaps FC 2, which won him a promotion to the main squad of Vancouver Whitecap FC. On June 1, 2016, he made his debut with the first team, which was a match against Ottawa Fury FC in the opening leg of the Canadian Championship.
- When Davies participated in the Canadian Championship for the first time at the age of 15, he became the youngest player in the history of the yearly competition. After only one year, he broke the record for the youngest player to score a goal in the tournament by tallying two goals and one assist across two games.
- During his time with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2016, Davies participated in three matches in the CONCACAF Champions League, four matches in the Canadian Championship, and eight matches in the Major League Soccer (MLS). During the 2017 season, he participated in both legs of the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals and semifinals, where he scored in a two-goal victory over the New York Red Bulls. In total, he featured in all six games in those two rounds.
FC Bayern Munich
- Alphonso Davies broke the record for the largest transfer fee ever paid by the Whitecaps when he moved from Vancouver to FC Bayern Munich of the Bundesliga on July 25, 2018. The agreement included a set transfer fee in addition to potential compensation that may reach more than C$28 million. Making it the highest money that any Major League Soccer (MLS) club has ever earned in its 23-year history as a league.
- During his time with FC Bayern, Davies rose to prominence very fast, becoming widely regarded as one of the most talented young players in soccer. He scored his first goal for FC Bayern on March 17, 2019, becoming him the first Canadian international player to score for the club.
- His goal made him the first player to score for FC Bayern. On May 18, 2019, Davies brought home his first trophy with the club when FC Bayern concluded the season undefeated in the Bundesliga. In April of that year, FC Bayern and Davies reached an agreement to extend Davies’ contract, which stipulated that he would continue to play for the club until 2025.
- Davies set a new record for the fastest running speed ever recorded in the Bundesliga while playing for FC Bayern in the 2020 season. Clocking in at 36.51 kilometres per hour (km/h). Additionally, the 2019–20 Bundesliga season awarded him the title of Rookie of the Year for the league. After his club’s victory over Paris Saint-Germain by a score of 1-0. Davies made Canadian history by becoming the first male player from his country to win the Champions League.
Since 2017, Alphonso Davies has been in a relationship with Jordyn Huitema, a Canadian soccer prodigy who presently plays for the women’s side of Paris Saint-Germain and also for Team Canada internationally. Jordyn Huitema also competes internationally for Canada.